View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

MC, I'm referring to #1. This is exactly the rule I'm referring to. I can see including the server in the exemption. They are technically not included in the field of play until after the serve is complete, thus not overlapping anyone, right? One could say CB may interfere with the defense's view of the server. So freaking what? The same could be said about LB but they are not exempt. Now, on pg. 81 of the case manual, the diagram and list completely contradicts this rule. This case states..... "Proper alignment occurs when all players, EXCEPT THE SERVER, are in proper position within the teams playing area". Below in the diagram/list it states player CB "must be aligned with" CF,LB,RB. Now I can understand that somewhere there is some misinformation printed. But, what really puzzles me is what is the logic behind giving the exemption of alignment to CB?

For what it's worth, I ran into 2 veteran officials from my assn. last night and they told me "it's always been that way" and "what? there's a discrepancy in the rules/case books?" (enter chuckle here). So I said this will not be the only discrepancy that drives me nuts?

I've been a player for the last 18 years and officiated recreationally for 14 before coaches talked me into getting registered. I've been registered for 4yrs now. It's the player in me that wants to know why. As an official, I'm just going to nod my head and say ok.