Thread: Taking A Knee
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Clearly we have 2 schools of thought here:

1. Facilitate a smooth and injury-free end of the game by publicizing A's intention to take a knee, and penalize A if they fail to follow through. The rationale for this policy is game management and player safety.

2. Never tell players what to do or put a team in a position where it cannot execute an otherwise legal play. The rationale for this policy is that the rules don't change at the end of a game.

Both rationales are legitimate, though obviously the policies are incompatible and neither finds support in the rule book. The best approach would be to consult your local association, find or establish an association policy for games in your area, and follow that policy.
Just out of curiosity --- in what way is #2 not supported in the rule book? And a note - you are implying that if you use #2 you are failing to facilitate an injury-free end of game. I don't believe that to be true. If offense actually does take a knee, and we've either done nothing or said, "If they take a knee, nothing after the whistle!!" or somesuch - I don't think there's a very strong chance for an injury. I would say the opposite is more likely. Tell the defense to relax, and when offense runs a play, you've got 4 defenseless DL's on their backs.

West Houston Mike