View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 12:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking I guess it's time to post this again

Do coaches ever say something while meaning something different on purpose to try to "work" us? DUH! That's why they're referred to as "Howler Monkeys". Here's some examples:

The Howler Monkey phrase is designated as "HM", with the English translation shown as "E".

HM: call it both ways
E: call it my way

HM: you suck ref
E: my vocabulary has not progressed since the fifth grade, so I will use a term that truly reflects my maturity level to insult you

HM: the foul count is 8 to 2
E: instead of admitting I have no clue how to teach proper defense, I will blame you so my A.D. won't fire me

HM: that's over the back (also see: that's a reach, etc.)
E: I will now try to impress my supporters with my vast knowledge of the rules by making some comments I once heard while listening to Billy Packer on television

HM: that's the worst officiated game I ever saw
E: boy, my coaching sucked tonight but you'll never get me to admit it

HM: great job, ref
E: I have you again next week and I'm sucking up

HM: that's terrible
E: I have heard that phrasing a comment in this manner might be taken by you as not being a personal comment, so I think I can get away with saying it this way and not get a technical

HM: you're terrible
E: since you are smart enough not to make a distinction between "that's terrible" and "you're terrible" and you gave me a technical for yelling "that's terrible", this time I figure I might as well get my money's worth

HM: how can you call that
E: I have no idea what you called or why - all I know is the call went against my team and I had to say something

HM: watch number 5 on the other team - he's holding my guys all night
E: none of my guys are quick enough to get around number 5

HM: you'll never work in this gym again
E: you called a great game but we lost and there's no way I'm going to let anyone blame me