View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 03, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not spend a lot of time worrying about what coaches say. Usually what they say is BS because it has a motive behind it. At least that is the case when you are on the court. I think coaches will say just about anything either to accuse you of something or try to make you feel they are not mad at you.
+1

There must be a secret manual for head coaches somewhere that tells them part of their responsibilities during the game is to "work the officials." The coaches who have no idea what this means will only throw critical comments at refs, questioning calls which they know are correct in an effort to get the officials to doubt themselves. The more refined and sophisticated coaches will also offer positive feedback from time to time, as in "good call," and so on. I presume by doing this coaches believe they are somehow gaining favor with officials which will "help" them later in the game.

Do I expect every coach to lie to me when I step onto the court? No. Do I expect every coach to try and get in my head a bit ... whether positively or negatively? Absolutely.