Thread: Choice of spot.
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 07:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

I had a HS Varsity game on Friday which had an interesting request from a coach. The home team just shot and made the last of two FT. There was a sub at the table, so obviously we stopped the game to bring in the sub after the made FT. But immediately after we brought the sub in, the visting team coach wanted us to bring the ball in on the opposite side of the lane than I was standing. I was the New Trail and was going to administer the throw-in and told the thrower that he could run the baseline in this situation. The coach starts asking, "we want it on the other side, we want the ball on the other side." I of course say no and hand the ball to the thrower, but right before I had the ball to the thrower I tell him, "You can move over there because you have the entire baseline." The coach starts screaming that I was wrong and because he kept saying, "Read the rulebook, read the rulebook," I then gave him a T.

Now here is the question, the rules state that after a made basket they can take the ball out anywhere along the baseline, but do I move and my partner's move to accomidate where I simply hand the ball in to the thrower? This is a 3 man crew also, so do we all move because they are insistent on taking the ball out on the right side instead of the left? I do not see any justification to move but to maybe accomidate the coaches request? Or is this our choice ultimately and we should ignore the coach?

Peace