View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach and JR,
It seems that there is some problem in defining what it means to prevent the release of the ball.
If we take the play I said happened in my HS game as our example, the question becomes: When, if ever, did my teammate prevent the shooter from releasing the ball on a try?
When the shooter reached the apex of his jump he clearly tried to release the ball on a try, but was unable to do so because my teammate had his hand on the ball. Does this meet the requirement right here? The ruling in 4.25.2 does say that a held ball results IMMEDIATELY. If this word was not in there I would be arguing on your side. I understand your position to be that because the shooter kept possession of the ball and was able to EVENTUALLY release the ball on a try that the release really was not prevented and that play should continue.
I am just troubled by the time reference in the casebook. Until I read this very closely last year, I thought exactly as you do.
PS At least you would not yell at me for calling a 10 second violation because the defense knocked the ball loose at the count of 6 and then after a scramble the offense recovered the ball while still in the backcourt at the count of 9 and was unable to advance the ball past the division line before I reached ten, as one rules-knowledge-deprived howler monkey did today.