View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by chuckfan1

Heres what happenned in my game today, 12yo,travel ball. High level talent.

Do these select Travel Teams play on 60ft. / 75ft. or 90 ft. bases?

The reason I ask is that it effects how I answer your question.

1. 60 ft. diamond. - On a 60ft. diamond the BU with men on base is positioned in the outfield and therefore, is BEHIND the action, so IMO the PU has the best view of interference since the PU is right in front of the action.
As with most things this should be covered in Pre-game.

2. 75 ft. or 90 ft. bases where the BU is INSIDE the diamond. In this instance it's the BU's call right or wrong, because the BU is "right there" and to overturn his /her call or make the call FOR THEM can make for a LONG game the rest of the way.

Asks BU to appeal to me. BU calls me over. I tell him what I saw, I saw interference. My BU then calls out R2 for interference.

I do not agree with the above approach as your partner the BU is now hung out to dry If YOU are the ONE making the call then MAKE IT . The BU should simply point to you or defer to you and YOU make the call.

IMO, that's one of the reasons why the coaches went ballisric and the BU had to toss. The BU originally did not see the intereference but now after talking to you is making the call.

Whenever an umpire makes a call that does not "belong to them" then MAKE the call. Do not put your partner "out to dry".

As mentioned, these are things that need to be gone over in PRE-GAME and also will be discussed at clinics.

Pete Booth