View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Suggesting that being seen, but nor heard, or anyone remembers us being there at all is somehow, "a cop-out for doing your job", is simply wrong and misguided.
I disagree. It's not wrong or misguided ... and CERTAINLY not bold and italic wrong or misguided!

Quote:
We are not participants in the game and it is not the intention for us to impact, or affect the outcome of the game. We are included simply to insure that the game is run properly and that neither team violates any rule that would give them an unfair advantage, or place their oponent at an unfair disadvantage. The game is played only by the participants

"Not being noticed" is NOT related to the number, or type, of fouls called or even the significance of the result of any fouls that may be called, when the officials are adept at handling their responsibilities, their movement and positioning is professional, precise and effective, they are clear in their decisions and decisive in their actions.

Our objective is NOT to "please" either team, rather to generate confidence in both teams that our decisions are absolutely unbiased and impartial. To "NOT be noticed" usually requires an effective performance in which all of the skills required of the job are accomplished consistently and effectively with as little fanfare as possible.
However, I agree with the rest of this. I guess I should clarify what I meant. We've all seen officials out there just to get through the game, flying under the radar and only flagging the Elephant fouls, and even that begrudgingly. Same guy might be heard saying, "Mike, why'd you flag that late hold. Now we're going to be late for Monday Night Football"... and these same officials are those I've heard saying, "we're there to be seen, not heard."

I would add, however, that an official that is not noticed at all PROBABLY was shirking on his calls at times. I grant that you get a game every once in a while where all your calls are obvious and unargued. But given that in most games there are a few plays that are so close that 1 side or the other is going to hate you regardless of what you do, the "not noticed" game is rare.

West Houston Mike