View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up THANK YOU

It sounds like I need to be a little quicker to call the held ball for an airborne shooter....

The Casebook uses the words "unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor... => HELD BALL"

So perhaps my rule of thumb should be - unless the results is:[list=A][*]a clearly blocked ball that is immediately knocked from the shooters hands or[*]the shooter is able to maintain control (not loose the ball) to the point of pulling it away from the defender's hand and still release it on a try or pass[/list=A]

I should be calling held ball.

I clearly agree with Hawk's #1, & 4 and see plainly that there is much judgement/latitude in #2, & 3.

My current inclination is that if the shooter is still continuing in his upward motion, he has opportunity to maintain control and recover such that a pass or try could be made ==> hold my whistle. If however, the result is that an obvious try or pass cannot, or is not made (ball simply squirts out or falls to the ground), I should be calling a held ball.

Anyone see anything wrong with that line of reasoning?