View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

But seriously folks

My Embarrassing moment....

Many years ago I was first starting to do college BB.....

I was asked to do the opener at a small D3 school in Ohio, the year after they won the D3 title. I was as nervous as a deer walking through a camp full of hunters.

I get to the game site, 90 minutes ahead of time, start to unpack, and I have no plate pants, just the gray pants I had on that were not umpire pants at all. In fact I had no other pants with me, so I put these pants on and went at it. I called my wife, asked her to bring my pants down, she said she would.

My partner shows up and asks me to do the first game. No problem right? He's a D1 umpire, I'm just a guy, so behind the plate I go. My pants lasted 1 and 1/3 innings, then ripped out all the way down the inside seam of a leg. In front of 1000+ people, and at least one radio station My sorry rear end was exposed for the all the world to see. Thank the Lord I have gray McDavid tights on that day. I heard every line in the book, and the home team manager (The Old Man, for those of you who knew him) spent the whole game laughing his butt off about it. Now I 'd love to tell you that my rear end looks good enough to be in the SI swimsuit calender, but the only thing my butt needs to have is coverings, lots and lots of coverings.

My wife shows up, 2 kids in tow, and with two pairs of plate pants in between games.

I kid you not, after that experience I carry at least two of everything to every game except a chest protector, since I never wear anything else than my Carlucci. I never have less than three pairs of pants. I was so embarrassed I almost quit umpiring that day. It sure took me a long time to be confident enough to try to get back into the college ranks after that season.