View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I am not walking a fine line - a player is in the air and releases a ball under his own power on a shot or pass, it is a release. He was not prevented from releasing the ball, which is what the rule states.

As for the case book, I believe that both cases I cite as held balls are backed in the case book example.

HELD BALL
4.25.2 SITUATION: A1 jumps to try for goal or to pass the ball. B1 leaps or reaches and is able to put his/her hands on the ball and keep A1 from releasing it. A1: (a) returns to the floor with the ball; or (b) is unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor. Ruling: A held ball results immediately in (a) and (b) when airborne A1 is prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try for goal.

This goes back to the discussion of the original intent of this rule, which I believe was to prevent the up and down call on a situation where the defense prevents the release. Unfortunately, the rulebook and casebook are silent on the airborn player who has a release temporarily prevented byut who successfully releases the ball before returning to the floor.

My belief is this is a good offensive play which should be rewarded, and that allowing this play to continue to completion does not violate the spirit or intent of the rule.