Thread: Fpsr??
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Dash wrote: "Textbook FPSR violation. No doubt about it. And you should be heading up the other (1B) side of the field."

2008 CCA Umpires Manual has this to say about 2-Man NCAA mechanics on this type of situation:

"Plays within the Infield...Double Play ground ball...with a throw to 2nd...PU moves to the 3rd base side of the pitcher's mound to assist U1 on the slide at 2nd base by R1. PU has secondary responsibility for assisting U1 on the swipe tag and/pulled foot at first base." (page 67)

I read/learned this 2 years ago and have put it into practice ever since...

Has it changed since the 2008 Manual?
The manual hasn't changed cookie. But the example you cite is a ground ball to 3rd base. In that instance, I think the manual has PU initially moving towards 3rd because he also has a potential fair/foul call (and maybe a dead ball if F5 kicks it away) on the 3B side.

The manual also states PU has secondary responsibility for a swipe tag/pulled foot at 1B. On a ground ball anywhere other than to 3rd, there is no reason for PU to head up the 3rd base side of the mound.

I know the manual says PU heads up the 3B side of the mound "to assist U1 on the slide at second base," but it seems to me that PU would have a much better angle on that slide (at least the "directly to the base" part of it) from the 1B side of the mound.

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't discuss a DP ground ball to F5 or F4. It also doesn't discuss one to F3, although I can't imagine it would send PU up the 3B side on that one.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Wed Sep 15, 2010 at 07:58am.