View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 04:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Now, don't you think someone who has admitted to being a non-football official may not understand that there is a possibility of multiple first touches and just might assume your statement implies the only touch that matters is the first one since they are operating under standard English rather than football English? Sometimes, you have to remember who your audience is when you answer.
Yes I think he would not know what that means off the bat. But he is an official so he would likely understand there are rulebook terms that are not in the normal English or have meanings he is not familiar with. And if he had a problem with what I said, he can come here and say that.

I also teach a football class (and a basketball class I designed for an organization for the third year starting in October) every year and have been doing it for years now. Most people have never officiated a single sport when they come to the class. We still use the proper terms off the bat and explain the definitions when appropriate if need be.

I think we should let MOofficial speak for himself and what he was confused by or understand. He might not have been looking for a rule as much as a mechanic. After all he did ask about the feet and touching the GL. I give him a little more credit than some here are giving him.

Peace