Thread: Fpsr??
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Fpsr??

I did a community college scrimmage (NCAA Rules) last Saturday and have been thinking over a play that perhaps I should have called a Force Play Slide Rule interference call, though I didn't. I'll try to describe it as best as possible...

R1, 1 out, batter hits a grounder to SS who throws to F4 who takes the throw to the backside of 2nd base (left field side). I as the plate umpire am observing the play from 3rd base side/half-way to the mound. I observe R1 running hard toward second, who then jumps toward second as F4 takes the throw touching the bag. R1 lands with his feet on the bag, and then goes down into a slide more or less over the bag and sliding over and past it into contact with F4 who was just releasing the ball to first (BR was safe).

(I am aware the NCAA rules allow for R1 to pop-up slide or to slide through the bag in a straight line, unlike NFHS rules.) However, in this situation, shouldn't R1 have to start his slide before the bag and into it, not jump at an angle onto it, then go down into a slide which took him through the bag?

I didn't make the call (and no one complained), but it sure appeared in addition to the contact with F4 that the play was altered too!

Would anyone call this an instance FPSR inteference?