Thread: Appropriateness
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The problem is, if you keep the tidbit to yourself, that official loses an opportunity to improve. Personally, I'd rather have an uncomfortable moment of feedback than have the constructive critic keep it to himself.
From your POV, this makes sense... but from most people's own point of view, what they see or know is right - and if it differs from someone else - then that someone else is wrong. And, at the same time, the guy you're talking to is looking at it the same way. Unless you know someone's a green rookie, it's highly likely you're not going to be received well.

Consider this. I was on the field of a softball game about 4 months ago. After the game another uninvolved umpire informed me that I'd missed a call when a pitch struck a girl on the hands. Said umpire approached us calmly and nicely and just as was suggested above told us we did a great job. He then informed partner and I that "the hands are part of the bat", and the ball that hit the girl should have been ruled a foul ball. He then went on to commisserate with us that it's a tough call to make when a girl is crying over it, but sometimes we get paid to make the hard decisions.

From HIS point of view, he was right, and he was "helping" us by imparting his wisdom. Now I'm sure YOU would never approach an unknown official with something you weren't right about ... but don't we all think we're right most of the time?

West Houston Mike