View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I'm sorry. I dont see anything here directing the umpire to police the language of the fans unless it is impeding the game in some manner. And please dont use the "(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules." argument. What's next , the umpire dictating the price the vendor asks for peanuts?
Unless the language is in some way making it impossible to play or officiate the game, let the police and stadium authorities excercise crowd control, Umpires take care of what happens on the field.
I'm with you. I say let it go and let the game's natural elements police it.

The offended player and his teammates each have several bats at their disposal, and uncommon physical attributes. Let them take to the stands and police the situation. Let the umpires tend to on-field matters.

Sounds absurd, doesn't it? Well, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Sometimes you have to do, what you have to do. At least Davidson has enough brass to take control of a situation. Something the stadium security didnt want to do.

Too bad about what the rules said or didn't say, he gets my vote for "Umpire of the week."There are way too many IDIOTS out there that think that just because they have first amendment rights, they can abuse anyone anytime and justify it with, "thats my constiutional right".

From a baseball fan who likes to sit and enjoy a game, I say,

GOOD JOB, DAVIDSON
There are seven words you can't say on television, and there are a few words you can't say at a ballgame and f@&&ot's one of them. If I were to hear a racial or ethnic or anti-Semitic or homophobic or similar slur from a spectator at any level, I would have them removed instantly, period. The game would not be respected if its participants weren't protected from that brand of inhumanity and I am there partly, if not chiefly to make sure that the game is respected. And it goes beyond the confines of respecting the mere rules. What makes the MLB setting any different?

I originally jumped to brand this latest act as another of Davidson's comic injections. I now view it as courageous and highly respectable. Yadier Molina is a good young man and a credit to the game. Davidson's policing of that outrageous incident involving him is commendable.

Nothing else occurred because of his actions. That's the point, here.

GOOD JOB, DAVIDSON, INDEED!!