View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Just because one is an MLB Umpire doesn't mean he's "great." Many make the Show not on their ability but for reasons into which I shall not get at this time. There are several MLB Umpires who are, to say the least, very poor umpires. Marquez is not among the worst, IMHO, but he certainly is not "great," as illustrated by this call. The fact that he was shown giving the pushing sign when explaining his call only serves to confirm what Steven Tyler above said: he butchered the call.

No he's not. Stop being such an MLB Ump fanboy or apologist. They're human; they screw up; and some are absolutely horrible and should not be at that level.

So if a coach attempts to get out of the way of a rounding runner but the runner plows into him, this is contact and consequently automatically assistance? Poppycock.

Emphasis added.

No, there does not have to be an out if contact is made. That's poor logic and an incorrect understanding of the rule.

Wow again.

Nice 'fanboy' label. Weakens your argument though doesn't it? I disagree with you, and hold MLB umpires to a higher level of respect than others, and that makes me a fanboy? You are better than that.

Sadly, I disagree with you and My. Tyler. He did not butcher the call, and sadly all the rhetoric has not made a coherent case why he did butcher it. It all comes down to this: You believe there is a certain level of physical contact that does not help a runner in the context of that play.

But in that video we are discussing there is no context of the play. We hear nothing going on at the base, we have no great angle to see who is seeing what.

As to the runner plowing the the 3B coach, and getting called out the for 3B coach assisting the runner: Please, pack up the straw man and put him away. Nobody in their right mind would make that call, and we all know it.