View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 06:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think we need to worry more about the product we put on the floor instead of the amount of years an official has been part of an association. I would think an official like Rut would be OK regardless of where he moved. I know you can come out to Vegas and be OOOOOOKKKKKKK.
Nobody said otherwise. But to tell an official that under no circumstances will he be a varsity official for 4 years is ridiculous.

When I moved to a city around 12 years ago, I joined a baseball association. I had a resume and experience, but I wasn't expecting to be handed anything -- all I wanted was a chance to show my ability and let them decide where I belonged -- and I was scheduled to work a preseason varsity scrimmage with one of the big dogs of the association. The association president came and watched me work for about 3 innings. From there, I was moved into the group of varsity officials and worked a full varsity schedule THAT SEASON.

If I'm told that if I'm really good it may only take 4 years to "move up" to a level I've been working a long time, what's the motivation? And yes, I do think it's mainly to protect the people who grew up there, as if that alone makes them more entitled to the best games. As you said, shouldn't the best product be on the floor?