View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 12:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Actually, I've had a great week. There no better feeling than when you know you've worked basketball the way it was meant to be worked.

Last Friday night I worked a girls' game where the visiting team was number 2 in the state (in the smallest school division). They hit a 3 at the buzzer to send the game into OT and then the home team pulled it together and won.

Tonight I worked another girls' game -- the visiting team was ranked in the state top 10 (I don't know the division, but the school was fairly small) and both teams were 5-1 in their conference. The game was close throughout, and the home team won when a visiting team's clear attempt at a 3 bounced off the rim, went straight up, and came down and bounced off.

Highlights of these two games were shown on the 10:00 news (last Friday on the CBS station and tonight on the ABC station). I exchanged pleasantries with the cameraman during a timeout, so I knew what station he was with.

I wasn't visible in last week's game and the only time you saw me in tonight's highlight was when you saw my backside getting off the court after the last shot bounced off. Not my best side, but the court was rapidly filling up with student spectators, so I just wanted to get out of the way.

Two more games this week -- boys tomorrow and girls Saturday night. I'd rather not be on TV, but I can only hope these games will be as good as the last couple.

Rich