View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

KJU, just a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Don't tell me what's "in my book." Don't presume you know what I look for from myself as an umpire, or what I look for from partners. You have no idea what type of umpire I am. One thing that you should know, it's not my style to trash other umpires or to not treat them with the respect any fellow umpire deserves.

JM, Pete, Rich have all posted replies that I think put the whole LLBB regional and WS umpiring in the right perspective.

My point is that this is an organization (LLBB) who's leagues and post season tournaments the large majority of us here on the board do not work. It's a level of BB we may have been involved in at one time, but we no longer work small diamond BB for whatever reason.

So unless there are some of us here who harbor some deep desire to be working an LL regional of WS, to be standing in the place of these guys are this week, why all the criticism?

They're Little League umpires. LLBB is a different gig, we all know that (or should anyway), it's why we don't/won't work it. That's our choice. The guys we've seen on ESPN made the choice to work LLBB, let them umpire.

You want to slam LLBB and the powers and the whole replay thing fine, have at it, they deserve it....not the umps.
My impression is that most of us are not happy with the leadership of LL Baseball for putting the umpires in an untenable situation more than the umpires themselves. That is my belief.

However, having said that you can't ignore the fact that some of these umpires have not done the quality work we want them to do, or they themselves want to do. the point of the matter is that the LLWS umpires represent all of us as umpires, we are all a brotherhood whether we like or not, and their ability to get the call right (or blow it sky high) are a reflection on us as a group. I want those guys to have a good time, do a good job, and enjoy themselves. Do you really think they are having a great time when the TV lens is looking over their shoulder every minute, and their partners blow calls because they are not doing what they should be doing on the field? And all the time the LL leadership is turning them into a tool of ESPN to throw all umpires under the bus?

I can see Joe Blow working 1B in an ESPN game, and his family friends and the like are watching and taping it too. Then Joe makes a mistake he shouldn't have, and the tape doesn't lie; it shows he missed the call from here to eternity, and he was not mechanically sound, which led to the missed call.

So now this LLWS umpire is overturned by replay, let's review:

1. ESPN has thrown him under the bus: "Well Joe Blow of poorhouse, anywhere, the 1B umpire just blew that call badly, replay will overturn it."
2. LL has thrown him under the bus again: "We have replay because we want to get the calls right (i.e. 'We don't trust our umpires and Joe Blow's missed call is a prime example as to why')."
3. Now, every time Joe has a wacker the rest of the event he has fans, the coaches, and everyone but his dog questioning him and his competence. Even if he is right, he will be assumed wrong until replay shows everyone he is right.
4. Then he gets to go home, and everyone says, "hey great call you blew on TV at the LLWS."

Yeah, KJU, you have some good points, but the other side does too. Listen to them.

Last edited by jkumpire; Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 09:20pm.