View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree umpires who do both sometimes mix rule books. If these umpires were more informed of the differences in the 2 they will eventually get better at distinguishing the differences. Many,many times its the coaches who mix rules up and an uninformed umpire has no knowledge to explain to these coaches where they are going wrong. This doesn't help the coaches, players, or umpires advance their knowledge of whatever rules they're calling. When these coaches argue that they saw the same play on TV or another game an umpires credibility will be greatly enhanced by being able to explain the differences. How many times during an argument or after do softball umps have to listen to coaches, fans and players say things like, that's why he's a softball umpire. I usually eliminate any doubt in their minds by being able to tell them the differences immediately. If your best answer is I don't know about other rules you not only lose credibility but you do the game an injustice. If we're not here to help advancement of all involved, what is our purpose? A paycheck? What will stop the confusion? Information you should be able to explain so coaches can instruct their players. Whether we like it or not, both sports overlap in arguments with coaches. Saying I don't know or that's the coaches problem will do nothing to alleviate this problem. If you want everyone on the same page as far as your sports rules go, umpires need to explain it so everyone understands. Or wait for someone to sprinkle magic dust that will make coaches read the book. Coaches don't read books usually and if an umpire can't explain it he only adds to the confusion.