View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
UIC, who was there, tells me we blew the call three times - once on the touch of first (His words: "it's not an appeal, it's a force"), 2nd - the award should have been 2nd base, since "the runner legally had to return... and his two bases were 1st and 2nd; and 3rd for not calling the out on the appeal during the argument (DC never says, "runner left early" or any words I could stretch into a dead ball appeal - just "my fielder touched the bag", etc.)
Blew the call 3 times?!??! Um, no.
Case 1: By definition, a force can only occur due to the batter becoming a batter-runner. Once the ball is caught, she is no longer a batter runner. Just because a defender may step on a bag, does not mean it's a force.

Case 2: Where was the runner at the time of the throw? If she was between 2nd and 3rd, the award is, indeed, home. However, that does not absolve her of her baserunning responsibilities. If she doesn't tag up at 1B, she's in jeapordy of being called out on proper appeal (which, in ASA, requires a player to say or do something .... not a coach.)

Case 3: See the portion in parenthesis above.

Would ya come work for me, Mike?? :-)