Thread: TE cut blocks
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 22, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also no block below the waist can be coupled with a high block (or a player being engaged with another opponent) if that low block is a delayed block. Which by definition is a chop block.

I agree there are all kinds of coach speak that coaches need to stop using when it has nothing to do with the rules. And when a TE is in the FBZ he is allowed to do anything that the others in that zone can do. But there are many teams that put their TE out of the zone, but nothing in the rule disallowing the TE from being in the zone.

Peace
I'm a new official and was able to accompany a veteran crew to a scrimmage last weekend. One of the teams were so spread out that thier tackles were out of the FBZ. They never went low, but the ref let the coach know that they were too wide to go low. He argued and argued that it was a "tackle box". The ref finally just said I'm trying to help you out coach, if I were to see him go low in a game I would call it. I've been a youth coach for about 10 years and I thought I knew the rules, until I picked up the rule book this year to study for the test. I did get a 98% though, but no way if I did not study. I wonder what some of these coaches would get without picking up the rule book?