View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
I'll be honest with you.

I'm not upset. I just don't want discussions to degrade between us.

I have a hard time believing you when I have no idea who you are. I have a hard time putting credence to your ideas and methods without knowing who you are. And I'm not alone, I'm quite sure about that.

Sometimes you sound like a learned umpire with great experience. Other times your words and sentence structures sound all too familiar. This is a problem that will haunt you on this forum until you make the decision to stand behind your identity, and your experience. Until then, thanks for your thoughts.
Jim:

I share you opinion here. As anyone on the Internet knows, enemies of other officials abound. We had one of those "attack" posts here. That official has continued his attacks elsewhere even though neither you nor I ever respond to his posts.

We are not a secret society. Jon Bible, Dave Yeast, Scott Ehret, Ken Allen, Steve Mattingly, Sal Giaco, Carl Childress: Those are all D1 or professional/former professional umpires who post to the Net. None hides behind a pseudonym; none fails to offer his ISP email address. (There are no "hotmail" accounts among that group.) Those men -- and I -- stand up for their thoughts. Their resumes are open books; their opinions are "authoritative." I don't always agree with Jon nor he with me. But we have far more in common than not, and each of us respects the other's expertise.

Ranger: You could be Tony Thompson. He would have observed umpires in eight states this past season. You could be John Brown, with access to a professional clinician's manual augmented by a bare-bones knowledge of baseball.