Thread: Brain teaser
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 10:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I don't believe any of you arguing for this position would even try to call this consistently. In the ordinary case where the ball or player holding it just lands out of bounds, you would rule on the spirit of the rule, as ajmc calls for explicitly, and call it a dead ball and no foul. The only reason you'd call it IP would be to save the other team from its being a completed pass in some of the extreme cases discussed here. And that's just hypocrisy.
Please don't start telling us what we would do or call, especially when we have actually officiated high school (and in some cases) collegiate football games. Part of being an official is having the guts and integrity to make tough calls that are supported by rule, even if they appear to be unpopular or inequitable. Not being an official and telling us how we WILL do our jobs is rather hypocritical on your own behalf. But I really would not expect you to understand that.

Quote:
Yeah, we know how the literal rules read. We know how a partly applicable case was stated in an interpretations book. But I don't believe a bit of it.
Let's just burn the rule book then, what's the use in even knowing it?

And that's about all I have to say about that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get my equipment ready for a scrimmage tomorrow.

Last edited by Welpe; Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 10:28pm.