View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Since I assume your name is John, thanks. You are correct about what I know on the play, and I am glad that I have been teaching people the right way to make this call.

Let me bring something to your attention, for your comment: Earlier in the thread you said that MLB and MiLB do not care or use the terms "relaxed or unrelaxed action." However, when the concept was first pushed, it was my impression that it was professional baseball who had it as an interpretation, not just J/R.

If you, or some of the other long term vets can recall differently where the concept first came from, and got put into popular usage, I would appreciate it.
Not John, thats JM, however:

In all of my teachings, the terms relaxed/unrelaxed have never been used. Runners are either trying to touch a base or they aren't. Sematics, probably. When it comes to appeals on missed bases, excluding home plate, you first have to determine if it is a force play or a tag play. Then you can determine the correct way for appealing the infraction. J/R uses the rule for missed home plate and applies that standard for all other bases. Not entirely true since the appeal of a missed base in which runner was forced or on BR missing first is treated differently as stated prior. First base is probably the only base you are going to have to treat that way since a runner who is forced and overruns 2nd or 3rd and misses the base will be able to correct his mistake immediately or continue to advance. These appeals are usually after continuing action has stopped. First is different in the fact that the BR is allowed to overrun 1st without penalty in and of itself.

There, now I really confused the issue.