Thread: Please Help ...
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 06:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Grasping At Straws Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
10-3-3: This item applies to all team members. 4-34-4: A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player. If these guys are in uniform, and they report to the table during the game, what are you gonna do? Beckon them in, no matter who they are. This means they are eligible to become players. This means if they dunk during the warmup, it is a technical foul.
I was referring to Jurassic Referee's question from several posts ago, where he asked: "Can a member of bench personnel other than a team member participate in the pre-game warmup?", and, "What is the penalty if a bench member other than a team member dunks the ball in the pre-game warmup?".

To stay with my example, what happens if the team chaplain dunks during pregame warmups? From my most recent post before this, I believe that the dunking is not the illegal act. However, it is illegal for the team chaplain to enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player, so there's our technical foul, which would also prevent him from warming up with the team.

I'm hoping that someone can come up with a better interpretation, and citation than mine. There has to be some other rule reference that prevents nonunifomed bench personnel from getting in the layup line, or getting in the layup line and dunking.

And again, how about the kid from the freshman team, who hangs around, in uniform, after his late afternoon game, watches the junior varsity game from the stands, and after the junior varsity game, decides to show off and joins the layup line and jams one down during the varsity warmups? In the book? No. In uniform? Yes. Eligible to play? Probably. Technical foul? Probably. Again, I'm hoping that someone can come up with a better interpretation, and citation than mine.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 06:20am.