Thread: Ejection ...
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
tref - so, help us poor, unfortunate souls who just run up and down the court, to understand the big picture of officiating as you know it.
Come on now, I never said THAT!

Quote:
If a coach really wants to give you a smart-a$$ comment, what makes you so sure your way avoids those?
You know there's no absolutes or always in what we do. For me it minimizes the chances of conflict.

Quote:
What do you do if you ask a coach if the sub is for #11, and the coach asks you back, "Who the hell do you think it's for?".
Take care of business!

Quote:
perhaps, just doesn't say anything at all, and just looks at you? How long do you look back at him?
"Jane, will you give me 20 seconds on the clock please."

Quote:
All of the above have happened either to me or to officials I know. I have no problem with communicating with coaches, but in my experience, in a situation where there could be a potential confrontation, it's best to follow the prescribed mechanics. If you follow the rules and mechanics, and something goes wrong, it's easy to see the fault would lie with the coach or player. If you do something different and outside the prescribed mechanics, and it backfires, then whose fault is it?.?
I agree M&M! That would be the officials fault... personally, I like to have rules support for each & everything I do on the court.

Quote:
You still have yet to respond to our pointing out several times your comment about not needing to tell the coach anything. Was that a mis-statement on your part, or do you still feel that way? If you feel it's not appropriate to inform the coach, do you have any backup to support that position, such as a rule, case, mechanic's manual page, NFHS or NCAA statement, association handout, memo from a league or assignor, etc.?
Mis-statement on my part, mis-interpretation on your part, call it what you like, but I've NEVER felt that way.
My point was asking (THE COACH) vs. telling (THE COACH) is a more in-tuned to the GAME way to go on DQs with a player AT the table. AND it still satisfies our responsibilities. Maybe I'm wrong (dont have my books with me) but aren't we supposed to "notify" the HC. We can notify someone in the form of a question or a direct statement, or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed -- and wasn't the OP where "the sub was already at the table?"

Even if it's your item 3, I confirm it (not "are you for #21?" but "you're for #21, right?")
Yes sir, thats why its important to KNOW when/how he arrived at the table.
For the record, I dont ask sub any questions, I would ask the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Actually it really wasn't directed at you personally....more directed at the attitude you were "displaying".

And not very many people on this board really give a rat's a$$ about anyone's resume - including their own.
I can dig it!! And you are right, my attitude did turn quite sour after being picked on by the school bully & his gang. I apologize to the board for my part!! I know damn well that I shouldnt be arguing with fools... people at a distance cant tell who's who.

I cant lie, I'm proud of the accomplishments I've achieved in a such a short amount of time. I enjoy life in the fast lane!!

Last edited by tref; Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 11:53am.