View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I interpret this to mean that when the ball is live, the appeal must be made before the runner returns to the base.

And, of course, if the ball is dead, we allow the runner to complete running responsibilities. So, if the runner returns during the dead ball (and prior to touching the first awarded base), then there can be no appeal.

BUT, your play has a dead ball (so the quoted phrase does not apply) and the runner does not return; so the appeal can be allowed as a dead ball appeal, after the runner stops (indicating no further running intended).
Steve (and Mike),
I, like you too, would be very inclined to honor the dead ball appeal and declare the runner out. However (and the reason I wrote the play), is that the DFB has it own set of rules about missing a base (well,there were special rules for missing first base well before the other 15"X15" came into existence). Missing first base, or the equivalent of touching the incorrect color, is special in and of itself. A runner and legally over run 1B and not be in jeopardy, as they would be in jeopardy if they overrun 2B or 3B.

I'm paraphrasing the RS#1 which, by rule, makes it seem that you can only make this appeal under two conditions: 1) before the runner returns AND 2) the ball must be live. Taken literally, these conditions exclude a dead ball appeal. I understand that the rules and RS's are not prime examples of precise legal writing, but let's change that line in RS#1 to this:

"If the appeal for missing first base is a live ball appeal, it must be made before the runner returns to first base."

How would you defend honoring the appeal when the OC shows you this phrase?