View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire View Post
While this is true, I suggest to you that you're going to have an extremely tough sell if you call grounding here. I would even go so far as to say that probably most of the relevant people (i.e. coaches and officials' supervisors) believe that this is a good play by the QB and would like us to pass on this call.
Different rules at different levels, so depending on which code you're working under, I guess if your objective is making "the relevant people" like you, you may have a point. Otherwise, if you're working under the NFHS code, you might consider just doing your job.

If (and it's a very important "if") you believe the QB has "dumped" the pass, your JOB is to flag him for doing it, because not flagging him is an absolute disservice and UNearned disadvantage to the defensive team which has done it's job in defending the play.

I assure you the defensive coach will not be impressed and any supervisor worth their salt will understand your thought process and respect you for doing your job, rather than youur being overly concerned with how you may be perceived.