Thread: rebound, pass
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 12:38pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Imagine the possibility if this were not a violation....A4 catches a rebound and, before landing, tosses it up into the air away from other players. A4 chases it down, jumps, catches it, and does the same thing again....and again...and again...all the way to the other end of the court where they finally catch it and dunk it. Hmmmm.
An interesting point, but bear in mind you can legally do something similar to that with your feet on the floor.

For example, A1 is in the backcourt and attempts a try for goal. Player/team control has ended. A1 chases down the ball and catches it. Control is back. A1 repeats, and repeats, and repeats. You can't call travelling, because control ends on each "shot."

It sounds to me like we need to define when player control ended in the OP. If it began when the player secured the ball, did it end when he released the ball on the pass? If so, the travelling rule only covers when there is one or two feet on the floor, not zero.

If the ball hits the floor before retrieval, I can see a case for a dribble. If he simply catches his own "pass," I don't see anything illegal yet.