View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Same for you Sportswriter!

Quote:
Originally posted by sportswriter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
While I commend your intentions, I also do not agree with your methods. Do not dictate playing time to the coach. Use the proper rules to remove a player. It is not proper for an official at any level to "sit a player down".
There's a trap here, of becoming nothing but a law-abiding arbiter without passion or feel for the game. We are human, and for eight to ten year olds, I think it is vital that we perform our fundamental role to support the game.

If I enforced the rules for first-time eight and nine-year old players, I'd be lucky if I didn't end the first quarter on the goal line, having called a hold or a illegal procedure on every play. Yet, according to the rule book, that's what I'm supposed to do. At that level, they have to play - parents, players, and coaches aren't there to see me enforce the rule book with anal precision.

Yes, a hold that affects a play gets called. But when all I see is a bunch of bobbing rears, and kids scratching their asses while they're supposed to be set, I can give that a break.

Otherwise, I'm making a travesty of the game.
Sportswriter,
I agree with you 110%! What you call "passion or feel for the game" is what I referred to earlier as "game sense". I was attacked by almost every official in this forum--got no respect. These guys are strickly by the rule book with very little "passion or feel for the game". You and I being youth officials understand how important it is to combine some game sense with your rule knowledge. Throwing a flag for every foul you see is poor officiating. I'm not suggesting we close our eyes, just let 'em play! Making the right calls or non calls during key moments of the game has everything to do with using "game sense" or "having a feel for the game" and this is important at all levels of officiating.

The running into the kicker call made by the R in the Steelers-Titans game was a bad call. Did the guy run into the kicker--yes, slightly. Should he have been penalized--no. The kicker flat out missed the field goal and the contact was not severe enough to draw a flag and give them another opportunity. In a critical situation like that, you don't want to make a questionable call to decide the game(won't find this in the rule book, check your game sense).

Guys not trying to open up an old can of worms, just my opinion.