View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I predict they will move the U back to his normal position either this season, or at the latest, next year. Maybe even during the pre-season. This position creates a lot of problems that can't be resolved during preseason. Just a few off the top of my head:

-- this will significantly increase the time it takes to spot the ball in late game situations; right now, the U places the ball down and only has about 7 yards to go to get out of the way -- possibly only 5; in the backfield, he'll have 12-15 minimum.
-- the U asserts himself in the defensive huddle and takes care of issues in the pit; he won't be able to do that now.
-- the R follows the QB; will the U get out of his way?
-- will the R still be on the QB throwing side?
-- now 2 officials need to get out of the way on a punt/FG attempt block
-- there are many things that go on that need to be seen from the defensive side of the ball

I could probably come up with a half dozen more. Besides, they tried this a few years ago in preseason and it wasn't adopted. Why do they think it will work now?
I agree with your predictxion although not sure it will be that quick. They may try to give it some time unless they have some major issues with this positioning.

Your first point has already been addressed because the U will be back in their normal position during hurry up situations for the reason you mention.

I assumed the R or U would take the QB depending on which way he went but I read somewhere the R will stay with the QB and cross in front of the U if he rolls that way. That seems absurd.

I was told when they did the experiment a couple years ago, they didn't spend a lot of time on mechanics changes or training. They just told the U to start in the offensive backfield and do the best he can. Since this is a more long-term solution, there will be some mechanics changes and training taking place so it should be more effective. I still expect they will realize the improved safety doesn't outweigh being in the right positions to make the right calls. Maybe then we see helmets on umpires. Another approach is to back them up to 10 yards from the LOS so they are a little further away from the action.