Thread: Ending Game
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
ASA has taught for years that only BR and R1 are relevant in this situation, regarding whether the run scores or not.

My question was why only those two?
I don't know WHY ... I didn't write the book. There is a rule that states a run can't score if an appeal on THAT RUNNER is successfully made for an out. That takes care of R1. There is a rule that states a run cannot score if the 3rd out is made on the BR before the BR reaches first - that takes care of BR. There are no such rules that apply to R2 or R3 in this situation that would nullify a run. WHY? Heck if I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
How can it be a missed base - to miss a base, you have to pass it without hitting it.

Simply asked for citation of this using the example of a runner crossing the diamond going nowhere near 2B
I am not positive the term missed base is defined in the book, although I don't have it in front of me. However, in practice, missed base has to mean that you actually missed a base. You can't be called out for missing a base that you never tried to get to, can you? It's not missing a base. Regarding your example, I suppose one could make the argument both ways --- I suspect that very few would consider a runner running from first base directly to the dugout as "missing" 2nd base (or 3rd base for that matter). I can see a more interesting argument regarding R2 running past 3rd base on their way to the dugout... and honestly I'm not sure that's defined as one or the other either.

All I've asked of you is what rule you would site in order to disallow this run. Still have no answer there. I've answered yours.

West Houston Mike