View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Forgive me Robert, but I have never accepted the logic, nor agree with the reasons for the legal "dumping" at the collegiate level, and hold out a glimmer of hope that rule will someday be recinded. I like the HS version a lot better where a team, who decides to throw a forward pass is limited to only 2 options; either attempt the pass or run with the ball. There's no "freebes" allowing the passer to legally "dump" the ball, when neither of the other 2 options appear reasonable (aside from a "spike").
So then what's wrong with loss of down in any of those situations?

Truth be known, I'm not a fan of allowing them to "gain" back to the previous spot on any incomplete pass, but in consideration of the uncertainty of completing one, the rules makers long ago decided to award that compensation. Nor do I like the idea of timing's being different depending on whether the ball becomes dead by incomplete pass or by run in or out of bounds. Yet the adoption of both such considerations have led to the further complications we see re intentional grounding and the spike.