View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
1. Make sure that you verbalize "No catch!" and don't merely signal it. You should not both have made a call -- only one umpire has the ball (I can't tell which from your description, as it depends on how the F7 was moving).

2. A more vigorous call on the catch/no catch would have prevented some of the other follies.

3. The BR is not out for abandonment until he enters the dugout (NFHS) or leaves the dirt circle (OBR). In any case, you should never call abandonment during a live-ball play like this: no rule determines the route the BR must take on his way to 1B (well, within some limits). You were correct NOT to call an out for abandonment.
We were pretty vigorous on our safe signal, but admitingly did not verbalize.

As for abandonment, he should have been called out immediately. The rule you are referencing is for a batter-runner who has yet to touch first base. According to FED rule 8-4-2p: Any runner is out when he, after at least touching first base, leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base.

I guess I didn't say whether or not he had actually made it to first.