View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Rec game screw up

Rec game with high school aged players playing FED rules in which I was behind the plate.

Bases loaded, no outs. Batter hits a deep shot to left that looks like is going to toast the left fielder. All runners freeze momentarily to make sure its going over the leftfielder's head, but then take off running. However, the LFer manages to run the ball down, and with his back to the infield, goes to his knees to make the apparent catch. Base coaches and fans all yell, "Get back!" to the runners, and they all retreat, none of which had yet to touch the next base. As they start running back, the LFer had crumpled from his knees to flat on the ground, and the ball trickles out of his glove. Both me and my partner make the safe signal for the no catch, but runners are still retreating. Coaches figure out what is going on, and send the runners. The defense manages to relay the ball home and get R3 out on a force at home. F2 throws to third base, but R2 beats the throw there.

Here's my screw up. While watching this, the third base coach screams my direction, "Get back to first! He dropped it!" I look to my right, and trotting down the first base line is the batter heading back to the third base side dugout! F5 throws the ball back home, but the batter is now sprinting to first. F2 throws to F3 to tag the batter out, but this allowed R2 to score. I should have called the batter out for abandonment immediately. R2's run gave the visiting team a 3-2 lead in the top of the last inning.

Fortunately, the home team won it in the bottom half of the inning, but I still screwed up nonetheless.

Gotta love rec ball!