View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
These things may appear delicate, but they can be handled.

If you call over your partner, and have a brief, quiet discussion away from the players, you can let him know that the rule in question isn't applicable at that time. (Don't do this on judgment calls, only when a rule is kicked.) Communicate the correct rule to him, and leave it up to him to change it to an inadvertant whistle, if he chooses.

In my sophomore year, I had a backcourt violation a few seconds after the tip-off. I may have kicked it, but that's not what sticks in my mind. My veteran partner immediately changed my call, without even speaking to me, and gave it back to the "violating" team for a division-line throw in. I was too stunned to react, and I didn't speak with him about it either, but I lost a ton of respect for the man for handling it that way.
Well we didn't start off communicating well. He came over at the beginning of that game and said that due to the fact that we had to do 6 games, we would not do any switching on foul calls. I didn't like the idea because I know that looks bad on a crew and plus, I like to always do this job right, but I gave in because he is 20 years my senior in the officiating profession, and is a regular at this particular venue.

Over the course of the games he constantly reached into my primary to make calls, he showed horrible mechanics, let 6th grade boys consistently beat him down the court as lead, and he just didn't look like he was trying very hard. At the end of the first game, I was just concerned with getting the others over with while keeping my questions to a minimum. He was a nice guy, but not very professional. But then again, he's certified and I'm not, so what do I know. Maybe that's what you get during summer AAU ball.