Thread: Balks
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
I'm PU on a 15U game. Both teams have kids that play High school.
Sure they played by FED rules? Just because these kids play HS doesn't necessarily mean this league or game was being played under FED rules.

Quote:
VT F1 in the stretch getting signal with the "gorilla" arm. Looks at 1st where B1 is leading off. As he looks he swings his right arm around. I call a balk. The VT coach politely asks why. I state "Coach your pitcher made a motion to 1st by waving his arm around when he looked". Coach yells at F1 to keeps his arm still and goes back to the dugout.
If they were playing by OBR rules, this is NOT a balk. Even in HS I would call TIME, dust the plate off and tell F2 to go talk to F1 and tell him the "deal"
I KNOW what the rule states but even FED has "tweaked" this ruling from it's first inception.

Quote:
Next inning HT F1 comes set then does a "Jump Turn" toward first and feints a throw. I call a balk. The HT coach comes out as asks why the balk. I state "Coach your pitcher may not feint to 1st while in contact with the rubber". The coach states yes but he came off the rubber when he did the "jump turn". I state "Coach your pitcher started his motion while in contact with the rubber and pitching restrictions apply". The coach goes back to the dugout.
No problem with this one as this is a balk under all 3 major rule codes.

Pete Booth