Thread: Does R1 score?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
This is why there was a proposed rule change a couple years ago which received support from just about no one.

Somebody proposed going back to the old rule but got little support?

Although I don't understand the reasoning behind the current rule, it hardly makes my list of rules I hate. But I know of no other code that prohibits a post-third-out appeal on a runner solely because the runner didn't score (seems like a strange criterion), and I can't imagine what situation arose to drive ASA to change their rule a few years ago.

Bases loaded, 2 out. BR hits a ball over F8. BR misses 1B on his way around the bases. All 3 runners score. BR also tries to score, but F2 gloves the throw well ahead of the BR.

If F2 tags the BR out, 3 runs will score, since the defense won't be able to appeal the miss at 1B, which would nullify the runs. So F2 has to take a chance and let the BR score a fourth run, hoping the umpire saw the miss at 1B. As I said, strange rule. What was the problem with the old rule?
While I get what you're trying to illustrate, if the catcher was that alert, why not just say (loudly) HE MISSED FIRST as you tag him? Then it's an obvious live ball appeal - but if the appeal is denied, you still have the tag.

West Houston Mike