Thread: as a crew...
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 07:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
At halftime, my partner, who was C on the particular out of bounds play says that the only reason the ball went off of A1 was b/c he was being pushed in the back by B1. I couldn't see this contact b/c I was L on the play and was looking up top at hands trying to tip the ball and apparently got straightlined.

Partner says he at T both had a push in the back on B1 but both laid off of it. They said they would have changed the call if I had asked for help on the OBB play.

Thing was, I SAW the ball go off of A (which they agree with). But if I don't have the angle to see the contact, how can I ask for help when I'm sure it went off of A? How do you handle this as a crew?
If you think you had the call right, then there was NO need to ask for help. You just live and die with it unless one of your partners does come in.

And neither of your partners can change a violation to a foul if you do go to them for help. There's no rules backing to do that. The idea from the git-go is to get the call right. If either of your partners really wanted to get the call right, they would have immediately came to you to discuss it. And that discussion consists of deciding what occurred first---> the violation or the foul. That's what you and your partner(s) have to come to a concensus on.

You're completely right in analyzing the play post-call to see if you should have done something different to maybe get into a better position to see the contact. But sometimes you just can't see that type of contact from the L and you have to depend on your partner(s) to catch it. Doo-doo happens.

From a political standpoint, let it go. There's no upside in getting into it any further. Experience does not necessarily equate to competency. And from your description, that seems to suit your partners to a T. Part of the learning process is learning what partners you can learn from.

Good job on your part imo. I wouldn't sweat it any further.