View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
....which is another reason why i'm hesitant to see officials touch a kid for any reason (even tho, in some situations like relaxed summer ball - it may not be as big a deal). we never really know who we are dealing with. said player's dad could be a psycho, over protective, my johnny is my world nutbag.
We can talk about possible psycho scenarios, and why not to get involved, all day long. If this dad really is a psycho, then simply touching his little johnny isn't the only reason he could get upset, he could also come running out of the stands to confront you when his kid got fouled and you didn't call it, costing his team the summer league 3rd place trophy. Or whatever.

The point is, if we act reasonably, there is no reason to fear any coach or parent when it comes to an injury. Almost all of the time there is someone more qualified than me to take care of any injuries, so I'm not involved in any way other than managing the game. If there's a chance I can help a severely injured player in any way, I'm helping, even if it's just to make them more comfortable until actual help arrives. If an adult comes out on the floor to tend to an injured kid, that's fine by me, and I'm not asking for an ID to see if they're a parent or specific relative. If they decide that's the time to take a free shot at any of the officiating crew, then they've bought themselves an early exit. It's not that hard.

(Used with permission.)