View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
i can not fathom why people think that the ball hitting the 1b mitt and the runner's foot touching the bag could not happen at the same exact time.

if one car leaves 10 minutes from point x and goes 20mph and the second car leaves point x and goes 30mph, then at some point in time they are going to be tied even if it is for 10 to the millionth second. seems reasonable.
Your example is not two unrelated events - it's two related events. Also, the touching of the bag may be an instantaeous clockable event - but catching a ball isn't. At what precise instant do you consider it caught? There is a finite amount of time between where the ball enters the glove and hits the glove and another finite amount of time before the ball's motion is stopped.

Why can you not fathom it. At BEST, one can say the two unrelated events happened so close together that the human eye cannot discern the difference. That doesn't mean one didn't happen before the other.

Point is, really - that no matter which POV you take, you're supported AND refuted by the rulebook. Tie does NOT go to the runner ... OR to the fielder.

West Houston Mike