View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Video Collision/OBS

YouTube - ACC Championship Game (FSU vs. NC State): Collision at home plate (part 1 of 3)

A play from this past weekend. OBS was called on F2....

NC State Coachs comment:

.."After Schaeffer was taken from the field, N.C. State coach Elliot Avent argued at length with home-plate umpire David Savage and Savage's crew, asking for Ramsey to be called out and ejected, and for the run to be removed.

But the umpires determined that the play was a result of Schaeffer obstructing the baseline without the ball — the throw hadn't yet arrived from right fielder Drew Poulk — and they also ruled that Ramsey did not use unnecessary force.

"In our opinion," Savage said in a statement released by the ACC, "what we saw — and the four of us agreed — we did not have (the runner) lowering his shoulder, throwing his forearms out or throwing an elbow as far as doing anything … that we thought would be ejectable."

In postgame interviews, Avent thanked the umpires for listening to his complaints, but he insisted the call was "totally wrong."

"We felt the wrong decision was made," Avent said, acknowledging that onlookers told him he would have a different opinion once he saw television replays. "I might change my mind a little bit, but I'm not going to change my mind a lot. I'm not going to change my mind that it was 15 feet up the line, inside the line, and the guy could have run around him."

Seems that was the right call. Runner appeared to be bracing for the collision as opposed to trying to take him out.