View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Using NFHS (ASA might be similar):

What you have to keep in mind here is the look back rule (LBR). Once the B/R has touched 1B and the pitcher has the ball in the pitching circle without attempting a play on any runner, the LBR is in effect. With the rule in effect:

If the runner comes back to and touches 1B she must stay there.

If the runner is off a base, once she stops she must make a choice of which base to go towards. She cannot change direction after she makes the decision.

There are some rules that specifically cover a B/R overrunning 1B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yscleo View Post
If B/R runs through 1B in straight line, turns 180 degrees around to head in straight line toward 1B, then just before touching 1B, takes off toward 2B, I suppose that's still ok.
If the pitcher has the ball in the circle before the B/R turns around, the B/R would have to return to 1B.
Quote:
If B/R runs touching the orange part through 1B at a slight angle to right and goes into foul territory, then comes back toward 1B, and before touching 1B takes off toward 2B, seems like that's also ok?
If the pitcher has the ball in the circle before she turns toward foul territory, once she turns right she is committed to 1B.
Quote:
If the B/R runs through 1B and has a slight angle toward 2B, in fair territory, then turns to come back toward 1B. Before touching 1B, the B/R suddenly takes off toward 2B. So this is slightly different than 1. (which is a contuous run toward 2B), but is at first heading back toward 1B, before sudden turning to head toward 2B. Is that ok?
If the pitcher has the ball in the circle before she turns back to 1B, she is committed to 1B.

I think I got this right but I will get corrected if I'm wrong...