Thread: Leg Tap
View Single Post
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Rule 4-27-3 seems to contradict my previous post, to be honest.
"Contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental."

Frankly, eg, this also contradicts your post. By this rule, contact which does not create an advantage or disadvantage is, by definition, incidental. So, in the case of the shooter getting his leg tapped, it seems as if it's by rule incidental and therefore not a foul.
I use a different rule set, as you probably know (FIBA):
Quote:
47.3 When deciding on a personal contact or violation, the officials shall, in each instance, have regard to and weigh the following fundamental principles:
• Consistency in the application of the concept of 'advantage/disadvantage', whereby the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game unnecessarily in order to penalise personal contact that is incidental and which does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place his opponent at a disadvantage.
Moreover, as Camron Rust points out, you should also consider other factors: intimidation, for example. I didn't say that a leg tap or a light poke in the ribs is necessarily a foul; but that the appropriate warning, if you think this behavior needs one, is to call a foul.

I believe this applies also to Fed's view of the game.

Ciao