View Single Post
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
Wow. Recognizing differences across situations really isn't your strong suit, is it, Hole?

If you can't see the difference between the influence of a former NBA referee who has published a book and has easy access to print media and radio, and that of some random wingnut caller to AM political radio whom no one ever recognized as an authority, then I'm pretty much outta bullets. But since I'm the one claiming to care, I guess I can't give up quite yet.

If you don't want to care, that's fine. And if you don't want to believe that Donaghy's words could have downstream impacts on you, that's your prerogative, too, and we can probably just agree to disagree (amiably).

There are very definite holes in Donaghy's arguments, several of which have been pointed out quite nicely in this thread. Presumably, not everyone is going to see every last one of the flaws, so discussing them with a group of people who have special insight seems like a worthwhile enterprise.

There are those in the non-officiating community who are going to buy everything Donaghy says whole-hog. Obviously there's no changing those minds. But there are also many out there who are truly undecided as to what they think about his stories. Those are the people we have the power to persuade. And we can do that more easily if we're armed with a thorough understanding of what Donaghy and his adherents are saying.

Maybe the whole thing's just not that big a deal to you. And if that's the case, godspeed on your mission not to give a $hit. But it happens to be important to me and, I suspect, many other officials. And sticking our heads in the sand while this guy is spewing garbage, impugning the integrity of officials everywhere, is not going to make his ideas disappear.

History is littered with stories of good people who suffered because they thought that the ridiculous ideas of others weren't worthy of attention. This situation isn't significant in the grand scheme of history, but the lesson is still relevant.
So because someone does not agree with you they are sticking their heads in the sand?

Also I do not care that much because I do not spend my time worrying about the NBA. What Donaghy says does not change my life one bit. Just like what Joe West does or does not do in MLB does no change what I do as a baseball umpire.

And we must keep in mind that Donaghy went from making a near $300,000 salary to a half a million dollar house to now having to sell a book to make any money. He probably would not even be allowed to work a high school game at this point for any money. I think he has incentive to talk about the NBA as he can flip this situation into speaking tours and other books so that he will become the so-called expert on NBA corruption. If you want to believe him, go right ahead. I guess you are sticking your head in the sand about the reality of what Donaghy claims he knows.

For the record, I went to an NCAA meeting where an FBI agent spoke about the Donaghy situation as he worked with someone of the people that had incite on the case the government had on Donaghy. The room was full of NCAA D1 Officials and they did not give a damn. They were bored by the topic and thought the issue went on too long. I guess they were wrong for their opinions because you say so.

Peace