View Single Post
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The vast majority of these situations occur on fast break plays or drives to the basket, where there are generally more than one set of eyes tracking the play already. The "common" method is for me - as non-calling official who has a double whistle - to come to my partner and say something like "Are you thinking of upgrading that to an Intentional?" or "This might be a good one to go Intentional on" or "That's a great Intentional call, partner"...

I really don't think it makes anyone look "weak" or "unsure", but that's just mho...
rocky - this is also the way I was taught to handle the situation. Maybe it's an NCAA-W mechanic, but if done properly, I don't think it makes anyone look weak, but rather it makes the crew look strong and on the same page.

Like you mentioned, I've seen this used most often on a fast-break situation, where there are probably 2 officials close by, usually L and C. I once saw a play like that develop - hard foul on a breakaway layup, the defender definitely went for the ball, but the offensive player went hard to the floor. Both L and C had a whistle because it came from C's side of the floor, watched the two of them get together right away, both of them were nodding yes to each other during the quick conversation, and the C came out with the "X". Neither coach had a complaint with the call or the way it was handled.

I found out later the conversation went something like this: "Whatcha got?" "Got a foul on B23" "Intentional?" "She was going for the ball" "From my angle she gave her an extra hard swipe and a push from the side; I was going to come in with the intentional" "Think so? Ok then" It all happened quickly, and both officials were looking at each other and nodding the whole time, so unless you were standing right next to them, you would've thought they were both agreeing they had the same call.

So, when handled correctly, you can give your partner information without appearing to disagree with them or change their mind on a call. Doesn't work all the time, or with everybody, but it can be done.

(Used with permission.)