Thread: Foul Shot
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fisherj
I know this is never going to happen. The problem is it did.

Coach instructed his players not to assume the first two lane spaces as required by the rules. Way to much time was spent explaining to the coach it was not an option.

What do you do. (Technical, and who is it on), (Violation and let them shoot until they make it).

I am not sure if I am following this thread correctly, but it seems to me that the consensus is leaning toward the opinion that when the coach instructs his two players not to occupy the first two spots is subject to delay of game warning concerning huddling during freethrows. This is INCORRECT.

Unless the resume play rule is in effect, the two lane spaces must be occupied by members of the non-shooting team and CANNOT be occupied by a members of the shooting team. If a member of the non-shooting team refuses to occupy one of the required lane spaces, that player has committed a delay of game technical foul. If the coach of the non-shooting team causes his players from occupying the first lane spaces he has committed a delay of game techincal foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio