View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
Had a game yesterday where I set a personal record, 3 ejections within 5-10 minutes.

Firstly, OBR rules.

Offense had a runner at first base and the pitcher attempted a pick off. The runner attempted to slide back into first but instead of sliding into the bag, slid into the foot of the first baseman. Fairly straightforward call in my mind, the runner had over half the bag to slide back into but instead slid directly into the first baseman's foot and never got back to the base. I called the runner out.

The runner immediately gets up and says, "You're "F'ed" up!". Ejection #1.

The first base coach then started questioning whether the first baseman was blocking first base. I explained what I saw, whereby the first baseman was standing on first base with his heel on the base and his toes off the side of the bag, not taking up more then 4-5 inches of the bag, leaving at least 10" for the base runner. At one point, the coach says something to the effect of "You're crazy", ejection #2.

The manager then comes over from third base and we start the discussion over again. After about 10 seconds the manager turns around and returns to his position at third base. Game continues.

Subsequent batter gets on base and the manager, from third base, starts complaining that the first baseman is blocking the bag. Firstly, regardless of what the first baseman is doing there isn't a play being made so it doesn't matter. However, when I looked from my position in the infield I could clearly see most of the base and told the manager that there was lots of room for the runner. The manager then turned to his bench and yelled, "Well boys, looks like we're going back real hard to first." Ejection #3. I'm not going to allow a coach/manager to instruct his players to attempt to injure the opposition.

Leaving myself open here but was I trigger happy?
Dump 1 and 2 and ask coach what exactly does he mean for 3rd sit, and then dump him when he answers.